Le Banquet des Généraux

Welcome to our discussion forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-26 22:18:50

Philip Thomas
Website

Middle East Changes

Ok I've gone through the rules and (especially) the cards and noted down any changes I can find, and put them in any fronts which they apply to. I may have missed a few, if so please point them out. I'll start with small fronts: here the Middle East.

Middle East changes:

Middle Eastern Changes
Austro-Hungarian, Bulgarian and German units may not enter the Middle East, except for one German Corps. Only 1 BR and 1 Allied and one RU RP may be spent on the Middle East map per turn. Russian units in Turkey and Turkish units in Russia cost an additional Ops point to activate. All Turkish VP spaces apply the Medina special rules. If 2 Turkish VP spaces have been taken TU MOs count as  none. Libyan Revolt now gives Ops for TU units. New Turkish determination CC. MEF is a ¬æ card and if not getting anywhere can incur a VP penalty.  Sinai Pipeline and Allenby are 1917+ events. New Allied Total War Card: Maude CC, ¬æ, a British unit tracing supply from Basra attacks on the Army table.

The Middle East sees some fairly major changes, with the disappearance of the 'Bulgarians on the Nile', or Germans or Austrians for that matter. No longer can the Central Powers pump Corps into the Near East. The Turks do get some compensation for this: a new CC, the Ops from Libyan Revolt, and the ability to survive being OOS. Moreover the Allies have some disadvantages: the MEF faces a VP penalty if it doesn't take any ground, a Vp penalty which can be avoided by destroying the MEF: this will probably happen in games where the MEF is played at all, and so the MEF will no longer tie down Turkish forces for the whole game. Russian units in Turkey cost an extra Op to activate, making any advance by the CAU Army rather expensive: there is a similar penalty on TU units in Russia but in my experience that is less common. Also Sinai Pipeline and Allenby are now 1917+ events, delaying the arrival of the big battalions by a year or more. The Allies also get an advantage, a new CC which helps offensives from Basra. While its welcome to see action by the unit in Basra, which can easily spend the entire game doing nothing in a normal POG game, I wonder if this CC is going to push CP players into trying to take Basra, which isn't impossible if one gets a Turkish Army out quickly...

#2 2007-05-26 22:37:02

The Guru
-

Re: Middle East Changes

Only 1 BR and 1 Allied and one RU RP may be spent on the Middle East map per turn.

I don't remember restricting the RU Rep (did I?)

The Maude and Turk determination cards are taken from the Players Guide optional cards, with a slight boost in effect for  Turk determination and regrading from Limited to Total War for Maude.

"It is well that war is so terrible - lest we should grow too fond of it." General Lee.

#3 2007-05-26 22:47:49

Philip Thomas
Website

looks like you didn't restrict Russian replacements, sorry.

Yes I know the Turkish Determination and Maude cards are from the Player's Guide- I'm listing all changes from the original basic game, for completeness and so I can consider their effects in the round. I haven't listed any cards from the Player's Guide you chose not to include, as that would confuse the above purpose.

#4 2007-06-02 19:46:22

Philip Thomas
Website

Of course, some changes arise indirectly. For example, in the normal game, the Kaiserschlacht cards can be used in the Near East, so long as you have a) Germans and b) a Trench (b is not strictly necesary but it makes it worthwhile to play the card. In my current normal game Allenby is dug in (T2) around Jerusalem and I am considering launching Operation Michael against him. If it works I could reap the whole of Egypt...somewhat historically inaccurate, however.

#5 2007-06-02 21:07:44

Philip Thomas
Website

Nah, didn't dislodge him. And his reply pretty much prevents my playing Peace Offensive to follow up, which would be even sillier.

#6 2007-06-04 20:27:46

The Guru
-

You're right. It's just that I wanted to keep the changes to a minimum, and considering that adding that detail would probably not make it happen more than it does now (one attack factor for one additional Ops activation penalty!), I think it's OK to consider the MEF as already being the historical mixed force.

"It is well that war is so terrible - lest we should grow too fond of it." General Lee.

Board footer