Le Banquet des Généraux

Welcome to our discussion forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-26 22:06:07

Philip Thomas
Website

Balkans Changes

Ok I've gone through the rules and (especially) the cards and noted down any changes I can find, and put them in any fronts which they apply to. I may have missed a few, if so please point them out. I'll start with small fronts: so the Balkans.

Balkans Changes

Novi Sad is activated for combat by Guns of August.
Bulgaria cannot enter the war if the Allies control Miskolcz or Cluj. Bulgarians are confined to the Balkans and they and the Germans may only enter Greece if H-L or Greece has been played.

Greeks are confined to the Balkans and cannot stack with Italians. Romanians are confined to Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia and Austria and will not join if Cps control Zhemerinka or Vinnitsa.

Only 1 Serbian Army may be built in Salonika, and that at reduced strength. The MN xxx is permanently removed when Serbia is conquered. The Turks are confined to Turkey, Bulgaria and Greece and cannot stack with Bulgarians unless also stacked with Germans. Entrench can no longer give the Serbs a free trench. Greece can only be played once as a non-event and is a 1917+ card. Russian armies can take Constantinople.

New 2 card, Bread Riots and Strikes in Austria Hungary. Playable after Brusilov Offensive,  1917+ Permanently remove one full-strength AH corps or subtract one VP (Cp choice). +1 to all CP MO rolls, +1 Ops point to activate AH spaces for attack, except on AH(IT) Mo turns. Only 1 AH RP per turn.

There isn't that much change here: its marginally more difficult for the Serbs to stay in Belgrade and their recoverey from Salonika is more limited. The various stacking requirements and restrictions on where units can go are mostly what would happen anyway (in the Balkans that is- the Near East is another story). The Bread Riots card is primarily Eastern front, but it could have an impact on the Balkans, making it easier for the Allies to push north from Salonika. The Balkans remains a sideshow, as is only proper. Any Russian attempt on Constaninople is unlikely to suceed against proper Central Power player and could result in overextension.

Last edited by Philip Thomas (2007-05-26 23:03:37)

#2 2007-05-26 22:53:59

The Guru
-

Re: Balkans Changes

The Turks ... cannot stack with Bulgarians.

Perfectly marginal, but they can if also stacked with Germans, which is most unlikely to happen (I just allowed it because of rare instances of cooperation in 1915 in Bulgaria, under German supervision).

Romanians can't invade Bulgaria

if I'm not mistaken, they do; They had fought each other during the Second Balkan War of 1912/13.

"It is well that war is so terrible - lest we should grow too fond of it." General Lee.

#3 2007-05-26 23:02:46

Philip Thomas
Website

Right on both counts, I misread the rules for Romania and just skipped the exception for Turkish-Bulgarian co-operation. At 3 OPs to activate the Bulgarian-Turkish-German stack would be pretty unwieldy.

#4 2007-06-02 20:28:03

Vinci
Praelatus

The variant rules generally mean a better serb resistance than previously. The AH offensive on Belgrade is more piecemeal and unlikely to succeed initaly. The Serb Army generally hangs on in the mountains to the south and becomes a threat again to Bulgarian "corpses", unless the Germans come to aid. One option is to go Serb hunting with a german Army and get all the way to Salonika - costly in Ops but could wipe out the Allied Balkan front and put an end to the "soft underbelly of Europe" for good.

Die unmittelbare Folge davon ist, dass man die moeglichst groesste Zahl von Truppen auf den entscheidenden Punkt ins Gefecht bringen muesse. ... Dies ist der erste Grundsatz in der Strategie. - Von Clausewitz (1832)

#5 2007-06-05 16:59:41

The Guru
-

Do not forget Salonika can only be physically invaded when Hindenburg&Ludendorff has been played.
The German army in the sector is still a good idea -preferably the 11th with the apposite event, as historically.

"It is well that war is so terrible - lest we should grow too fond of it." General Lee.

Board footer