Le Banquet des Généraux

Welcome to our discussion forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-07 19:44:00

Vinci
Praelatus

Armistice possible?

In all the games that I have seen played none have ended in Armistice (the historical ending). Trying to get 40 war status points seems to be near impossible.  sad
The CP player who has generally most to gain from reaching Armistice has cards worth 20 WS in his deck - he has to play all of them (even if some may be of marginal use). The Allied player has cards worth 22 WS in his deck and can block Armistice by holding back some of these.

What is the reasoning behind this approach? Would it be usefull to add some more WS to the CP players deck (same as Allied?)

Die unmittelbare Folge davon ist, dass man die moeglichst groesste Zahl von Truppen auf den entscheidenden Punkt ins Gefecht bringen muesse. ... Dies ist der erste Grundsatz in der Strategie. - Von Clausewitz (1832)

#2 2007-10-07 21:25:02

The Guru
-

Re: Armistice possible?

What is the reasoning behind this approach? Would it be usefull to add some more WS to the CP players deck (same as Allied?)

Don't really know. It is difficult indeed to get to the WS 40. I didn't tackle that issue in the variant because it wasn't anything shocking, really. But it would probably be a good idea, historically consistent, to give Bolshevik Revolution a 1 WS, to encourage the CP player to push forward on the Russian collapse track. And the little chance of allowing an earlier end to the game could act as a play-balance element, depriving the Allied from a 5th Blockade VP (The Friedensturm final requirement is harder to implement than the US army attack).

"It is well that war is so terrible - lest we should grow too fond of it." General Lee.

#3 2007-10-11 20:46:55

The Guru
-

I added a 1WS to the Bolshevik Revolution event.
Barring any blatant problems, I expect this to be the very last change.

"It is well that war is so terrible - lest we should grow too fond of it." General Lee.

#4 2007-10-12 12:07:31

Vinci
Praelatus

Again we agree on something - it is becoming a habit. lol

Bolshevik revolution seems to be a good choice - it was after all one of the major events in the collapse of the russian political sphere and ardently desired by the CP player (who let lenin slip through germany to lend a hand).

One of the Kaiserschlacht cards would also have been a good option - possible friedensturm as an additional incentive to go all the way? - again it was a major event on the political sphere as the german army believed to be moribund went over to the offensive stretching the allies to the limit.

Die unmittelbare Folge davon ist, dass man die moeglichst groesste Zahl von Truppen auf den entscheidenden Punkt ins Gefecht bringen muesse. ... Dies ist der erste Grundsatz in der Strategie. - Von Clausewitz (1832)

#5 2007-10-12 19:31:05

The Guru
-

One of the Kaiserschlacht cards would also have been a good option - possible friedensturm

I thought of it but I don't think it's a good idea: Friedensturm would have to be the one, and I don't want to allow the CP player to close the game with a end-of-turn Friedensturm adding the 40th War Status point, thus depriving the Allies from a chance to counterattack.
I believe Bolshevik Revolution is the soundest choice. It's already official by now, anyway wink

Board footer